WHK August 2010 eNewsletter.



Claiming Education Expenses

As expected at this time of year, the Education Tax Refund has generated a lot of interest. So I thought I might go into more detail on the type of things you can claim.

You must first be eligible for Family Tax Benefit A. You can make your claim in your tax return or if you donít need to lodge, you can lodge a separate claim form which is available on the ATO website. For those that forgot to claim it last year, you can request an amendment to last yearís tax return or for non-lodgers you can complete the 2009 Education Tax Refund form.

For each primary school child you can claim a maximum of $390 and for high school children a maximum of $779. For each $1 you spend on eligible expenditure you will receive a 50 cent refund, up to the maximum amounts. So for a high school student you would need to spend $1,558 to claim back the $779 refund. If you have more than one child you can spread the expense across each of the children (providing it is used by each of them for their education). This allows you to claim large expenses and get the maximum refund. Should the expenses exceed the limit, the remainder can be carried forward to the next year.

The type of expenses you can claim include: a laptop computer, desktop computer, extended warranty, virus software, surge protector, printer, consumables, IPad, Internet connection, stationery, computer repairs, school text books, educational computer software, general software ie: Microsoft Office, and trade tools for secondary trade courses.

The items must be used by your child for their school education. But they donít have to be used solely for their education and there is no apportionment between private and education use. So even if you used these items 50% for private use, you can still claim the whole expense. However, if you are already claiming some of these items as a tax deduction in your business or in relation to your employment, then that portion of the expense is not claimable for the Education Tax Refund.

If you share the care of your child with a former spouse, then you reduce the amount otherwise claimable by the percentage of care provided by your former spouse. For example, if you have 70% care of your child then you can only claim 70% of the amount otherwise calculated. However, you can carry forward the excess to the next year.

Items that you can not claim include: school fees, uniforms, excursions, tuition fees, musical and sporting equipment, building levies, library fees, subject levies, school photos, tuck shop, donations, computer games, computer desk and chairs.

If you have any tax questions drop me an email at: David.Hall@whk.com.au

This advice is general in nature and readers should seek specialist advice before making financial decisions. WHK Pty Ltd ABN 84 006 466 351
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation other than for the acts or omissions of financial services licensees.

Port Douglas Office:

21-23 Warner Street, Port Douglas Qld 4877

Ph: 1300 852 044  Fx: (07) 4099 4344

Cairns Office:
232-240 Mulgrave Road, Cairns Qld 4870

Ph: (07) 4052 3222  Fx: (07) 4051 8827

Townsville Office:
22 Walker Street, Townsville Qld 4810
Ph: (07) 4722 9555  Fx: (07) 4722 9599

Kirwan Office:
73 Thuringowa Drive, Kirwan QLD 4817
Ph: (07) 4723 2777  Fx: (07) 4723 0921

Charters Towers Office:
28 Bow Street, Charters Towers Qld 4820
Ph: (07) 4788 2900  Fx: (07) 4787 4169

Hughenden Office:
29 Brodie Street, Hughenden Qld 4821
Ph: (07) 4741 1100  Fx: (07) 4741 1211

This is a private mailing list and your privacy is important to us. If you no longer wish to receive this eNewsletter from us, please
 unsubscribe your email address - [email] here. To ensure your edition is received every time, add us to your safe senders.

[firstname] [lastname], [email]
Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Previous issues | Manage your subscription

This newsletter is provided by WHK and its member firms and WHK Financial Planning (WHKFP) as an information service only and does not constitute financial product advice. WHK & WHKFP provide no warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the information. All opinions, conclusions, forecasts or recommendations are reasonably held at the time of compilation but are subject to change without notice by WHK & WHKFP. Both WHK & WHKFP assume no obligation to update this document after it has been issued. Except for any liability which by law cannot be excluded, WHK & WHKFP, its Directors, employees and agents disclaim all liability (whether in negligence or otherwise) for any error, inaccuracy in, or omission from the information contained in this document or any loss or damage suffered by the recipient or any other person directly or indirectly through relying upon the information.

Section 945A of the Corporations Act requires financial planners to obtain information from clients before making recommendations. Equivalent requirements apply also to accountants in relation to the provision of taxation advice. Accordingly, clients and readers should not act only on the basis of material obtained in this newsletter because the contents are of a general nature and therefore do not take into account each personís individual circumstances and may be liable to misinterpretation. Do not act upon any of the information contained within this newsletter without first obtaining specific advice from your local WHK Adviser.

WHK Group Pty Ltd ABN 84 006 466 351 and WHK Financial Planning Pty Ltd, holder of Australian Financial Services License No. 238244 ABN 51 060 092 631.